Lying on the coast of Tunisia is the port city of La Goulette, part of the port system of Tunis. Located at the end of Lake of Tunis’ causeway, the suburb is part of the capital city and can be reached by bus or car over the causeway. The city has a population of about 50,000 and the name means ‘river mouth’. Over the years it has been a strategic location and has been controlled by the Spanish and the Turks who were attempting to control the entrance to the harbour.
The city was the most important possession of Spain during the reign of Charles V. In 1574 it was taken over by the Turks, enlarged, and strengthened, using the existing Spanish fort to build up its defences. It was only during the French colonial period and occupation that the Lake silted over and could no longer take ships. A channel was dredged out across the lake between 1888 and 1892, returning shipping once again and the city grew more important as Tunis slowly declined.